Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Flu Season

Fever is rising, runny nose

Achy muscles from head to toes

Head is congested about to blow

Hello flu season I haven’t missed you at all

The fever breaks 106

Sweat pouring out from underneath

My face looks aged

Eyes full of tears

Hello flu season, but it’s time to leave

The body is shaking

Can’t sleep at night

The bones are aching

Can’t do anything right

The head is throbbing

Can’t concentrate

Hello flu season, it’s time to abate

Cannot leave bed

My body aches

Lost sense of smell

Get fever shakes

Feel like a zombie, too hurt to move

Can’t wait to feel better

I hate this flu!!!!

While lying in bed I pop a few pills

My fever is lowered

But headache remains

I can’t stop thinking why me?

Why God?

Perhaps God served me right for refusing a flu shot!!!

5 comments:

stacii k said...

I love the rhymes! I know poems don't have to rhyme, but the ones that do are way more awesome. I like the punctuation with the greetings to flu season, and it ending with humor.

Jessica said...

I like the "why me?" bit. Definitely have thought that once or twice with a bad cold piled onto an already busy schedule. Great ending line!

Fred Amell said...

Thanks for lightening things up! You remind me that with the right mix of rhyme, rythm and lines, the same issues that might otherwise share anguish, could be portrayed just as accurately in a lighter tone.

Certainly Doctor's with the skill to lighten things must be appreciated by patients who need to know they are being heard without being over-saturated with pity.

Douglas said...

I didn't got the flu shot and still got sick big time. I liked that as your ending. Also, your poem seemed very much like an internal narrative, as if you were thinking out loud when you were sick. Nicely done.

MarcM said...

I truly enjoyed the flow (not flu) of this poem... as i read it each new line practically leapt off the page, it was simply put a fun read