Tuesday, April 1, 2008

ENCOUNTER ON THE STAIRS

Next to Children’s Hospital, in a hurry

Down the stairs, two at a time
Slowed down by a family, moving slowly
Blocking the stairway, I’m in a hurry
I stop, annoyed, I’m in a hurry

Seeing me, they move to the side
A woman says softly, “sorry” in Spanish

I look down in passing, there’s a little boy
Unsteady in gait, holding onto an arm
Head shaved, stitches in scalp
Patch over eye, thin and pale
He catches my eye and gives me a smile
My walk is slower for the rest of the day

2 comments:

Maria Basile said...

"We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole."

-Mark Strand, Keeping Things Whole

Thank you for sharing this!

Sam said...

I thought this was really beautiful and true. Around here, everyone's so caught up with being important-- its so humbling when things like this happen.