The ashtray in my car is filled with spare change.
We would drive places
And you would tell me that ashtrays were pointless these days—
That I had found the perfect use for the vestigial compartment.
The very last time you were in my car
It was dark,
And we were parked in the back lot.
It was finally spring so all the windows were rolled down,
The smell of wet soil and cut grass mixing with fabric cleaner,
And I had a flower that I had grabbed from the ground.
We sat in the parked car
Our seatbelts still fastened,
And as you told me things I did not want to hear
My fingers worked in a frenzy,
Tearing the petals into tiny pieces,
Letting the silky shreds fall silently
Into my pile of quarters and dimes,
While I looked at you with steady eyes
And nodded in agreement.
Furious and infatuated
Behind a mask of unwavering poise.
A month later, the pink petals dried
Becoming a distinguished maroon
And slowly, they sank to the bottom of the ashtray.
It wasn’t for another two years,
When scrambling for change at a toll booth
That I saw them again,
This time barely recognizable—
Unsightly dried cinders,
Twitching and vulnerable in the open air.
I smiled and thought of you
And then drove along the highway
One hand on the wheel,
The other rummaging through my purse
Searching for spare change,
So I could protect the fragile wisps.
2 comments:
Beautiful, beautiful poem, Caroline. I love how you linked the flower petals to this memory, and your description of the speaker's first reaction to the incident is outstanding!
Caroline, you really have a gift for expressing yourself. I admire your ability to capture short moments and turn then into the wonders that this poem is. I especially like how you relate this experience with finding change in your car. Beatiful poem that offers the whole story and really flows well. I also like the fact that I didnt have to look up words while reading it.
Post a Comment