Friday, April 5, 2013

Fever

I feel too weak to move, I tell her
As I give back the thermometer
I am burning, burning, burning
For I am too hot for comfort and yet too cold for winter
And yet the haze, I see it before it sees me
Through slightly closed eyes, one hand to my head
I am tired I tell her. 

I am sick.

Yet

She is a mean mean woman, mumbling words that I can barely hear
Both heaven and hell, mentioned in the same breath
The devil? My angel? Something about a something
Yet this blanket feels soft, this pillow heavy
And I am fading quite slowly within this cocoon of comfort 
Burning pure yet, cleanliness is an issue?

Kleenex boxes
Food wrappers, broken candy bars
My chicken soup left untouched
I have no desire to eat and yet I crave something to match
This heat emanating from my body

Give me ice-cream, I ask
Or a sugary drink, maybe chocolate
A cool glance is met with delirious eyes
Something tasty, I say
I am not that picky

I hear a chuckle

Then a response:
           
            By George, your temperature is 170 degrees!  You must really be sick.





I am busted.  Time for school.

2 comments:

Maria Basile said...

Busted!

Delightful poem. Love the surprise ending. Made me look back and read it again, to see if you had left any clues...

Nice job!

Unknown said...

Cute poem, Steph. It really brings me back. I particularly like your portrayal of a child trying to lie with their inability to maintain the fraud, i.e. wanting ice cream or something sweet.