for the participants in the MCS2 Selective "Literature and Medicine." An operating room for the study of language and healing.
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Measure
Uncomfortable haze has warranted
The mercury reader under my arm
How long do I hold it
How long do I sit
Sleep
Lie
Stuck at 39
Waiting for clarity
Piles on my desk
Towers in the sink
The burden of this heat
Twirling on my brow
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I really enjoyed reading the poem and I especially enjoyed the structure. The influence, I believe, comes from Fever, 103. It seems that the first couplet is a description of the fever, a strict 10/10 rhythm, but from there there is this erratic rhythm and scatters its thoughts throughout. However, if the 1/1 in the middle of the poem is a turn, it seems so appropriate for its randomness. It flows and ebbs with the heat and cold of a fever.
You sound overburdened, like the fever is the least of your worries and that it's only served to slow you down, to keep you from the things you need to do, but not enough that you can stop worrying about them.
I love how real your poem is. The wording is concise and the imagery depicted is precise. Life is happening and things need to get done but then there's a very unwelcome interruption and everything must be put on hold. And this "pause" where there is no energy to continue with daily work nor opportunity to crawl into bed, make tea, and watch TV is what I found in your beautiful words.
3 comments:
I really enjoyed reading the poem and I especially enjoyed the structure. The influence, I believe, comes from Fever, 103. It seems that the first couplet is a description of the fever, a strict 10/10 rhythm, but from there there is this erratic rhythm and scatters its thoughts throughout. However, if the 1/1 in the middle of the poem is a turn, it seems so appropriate for its randomness. It flows and ebbs with the heat and cold of a fever.
You sound overburdened, like the fever is the least of your worries and that it's only served to slow you down, to keep you from the things you need to do, but not enough that you can stop worrying about them.
I love how real your poem is. The wording is concise and the imagery depicted is precise. Life is happening and things need to get done but then there's a very unwelcome interruption and everything must be put on hold. And this "pause" where there is no energy to continue with daily work nor opportunity to crawl into bed, make tea, and watch TV is what I found in your beautiful words.
Post a Comment