Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Color and Shape

Green carpeted rooms
Circles, encircling circles
There’s a metaphor here

Purple walls of hemispheres
Where words are spoken from the mouths
Of gods, to the ears of babes

Brown cubes and shiny tubes
Perch precariously upon the shoulders
Of an island long and narrow

Taught to heal, taught to care
Who really understands all the things
We will bear

One day, we will wear our coats
Long and white. Cure disease, help people
Live, thrive through their lives

And walk through new cubes and
Squares, find ourselves in circles and
Spheres - see things from different angles

For now, we will sit and stare
Engaged in our amorphous learning
Trapped in our desk and chair

4 comments:

Nika said...

you've painted our world and our hopes beautifully... i hear your voice in it slyly saying "there's a metaphor here." The rhyming gives it a completeness, like it should be our theme song.. our testament at the white coat ceremony right after our recitation of the hippocratic oath.

Maria Basile said...

Don't look now, but your "amorphous learning," has already started taking shape (and color!)

Megan Janoff said...

I love this! It breathes new life to our horrible little existance here in the HSC. It creates beauty out of what most of us think is a very ugly and odd building. I wonder though what more the metaphore is....I agree that it is there, but something tells me that there could be even more than you've already captured in the poem.

Anonymous said...

I like the various shapes the poem engages in. Are the professors the gods and we the babes?....very well put. I like the way you allude to the future; us becoming doctors one day, but we will still be in the same old spheres and cubes...same scenario, different environment. It is interesting that the last line uses the word trapped. I picture a scenario where we are being held against our will to listen to what the professor is saying...lol. Altogether, nice poem, nice choice of words.