Tuesday, March 25, 2008

PARKINSON'S DISEASE, by Galway Kinnell

Read Parkinson's Disease, by Galway Kinnell, and help me figure out why I love this poem!

1 comment:

Tejus said...

Not so sure if we are meant to post.
But I for one was really moved by this poetic account-
it was tender, loving, gentle and only the 2nd or third time I have ever seen the incorporation of these emotions to generate a positive take on this scenario. But while not showcasing things bitter and ugly, the poem sacrificed nothing in its honesty.
In many cultures it is an honor to care for the elderly, and there are many who choose to be the caretaker of an ill parent. They wouldn't have it any other way as it is simply the other end to the equation which cared for them when they were in need.
I don't want to end on a cynical note, (because I don't think my cynicism is an admirable quality worth cultivating) however because Dr. Basile wonders why she loves this poem and I've been wondering the same thing myself (and because she threw out the cynical 50% medical divorce rate statistic in response to my love poem :))i'll allow myself a moment's cynicism to ask this: If being old and incapacitated is one of our greatest fears, do we not love this poem because in some way it assuages our fears? It seems to say everything will be okay. Death and degeneration is an inevitable process- but love is something that transcends failures of flesh.