Shivering, quivering with my head in a fog.
My joints are aching, hurting, burning to the touch.
More blankets, more bedding but nothing keeps in the warmth.
In the bed I’m turning, adjusting without finding any peace.
But wait, my favorite movie is on? That’s great, some pleasure, who knew?
The phone rings, it’s Alexia, she wants to go out.
I want to go out, but I can’t go out; I’m in a daze.
My mom says I should go, how often do I spend time with my cousin?
Really? I want to, I do, but I can’t; I can’t think straight.
My mom tells her I will go, “she’ll be ready in 20 minutes, just come on by”.
I can’t believe her. I don’t understand, I’m getting dressed but how am I managing it?
We’re in the car, we reach the club.
Oh the crowd, the smoke, my stomach is turning.
The music so loud it hurts my ears and the flashing, those flashing lights burning my eyes.
There’s people shoving, pushing, dancing all around, my head is aching, it’s spinning.
And the ringing, oh the ringing, that ringing in my ears. What is that? Please, oh please make it stop.
“Hello? Oh hi Alexia. Oh she’s doing better, I checked on her a little while ago and the fever is down.She fell asleep watching a movie yesterday afternoon and she’s just been sleeping ever since.”
2 comments:
Thanks for posting this, Artemis. Your poem takes a couple of turns, including the surprise ending. Interesting blurring of the sensation of sleeping and dreaming and waking that one can feel during a fever. Nice job!
I agree with Dr. Basile, great job! Complete with an O. Henry ending!
Post a Comment