Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fever of a Medical Student

It burns through the class
striving, consuming
pushing- always pushing

To study harder, to achieve more
earn that grade, memorize those symptoms
perfect that technique

All around you feel it linger
in the library, in the lecture hall,
even in the lounge

Unquenchalble, unabatable, unalterable

But what happens if the fever goes out?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I may have misspelled some things- I couldn't find spell check. Sorry

Erin said...

I like this poem! Captures the feeling that I think all of us have. I especially like the second to last line of unquenchable, unabatable, unalterable + but what happens if the fever goes out. It keeps me thinking after I've finished reading it

Agnes O'Connor said...

Complacency?

Katie said...

I like this poem too. So relevant!!! It does feel like a fever sometimes.

Maria Basile said...

I like this concept, Emily, of a "group" fever, like a plague or epidemic. Powerful, intense...I hope we never learn what happens if the fever goes out!