I lost a race today
The striped-shirted man in the corner with a stopwatch told
the newspaper
I read about it in bed
He said he watched the clock run indefinitely
Nobody else saw him snickering at my paralysis
He said I didn’t even have the right
Shoes on
Shoes on
I said I didn’t even remember signing up
Nobody asked why
I slept through the awards ceremony
The story said my solipsism was so insatiable
I forgot to file the forms
To not become too big to fail
To eschew a shot of schadenfreude
The same person who said
I am entitled to your mercy
also said
I invest suffering for future returns
She can fly and she can digest cellulose
Acquiescence is
when you lose so much
that you wrap up your oldest possession
put ribbons and bows on it
and try to forget
you know its real origin
A withered old man
I long to become
alone
outdreamed and weak-streamed
with so much peace of mind
even the neighbors can hear the reverberations through my
hollow cocoon.
4 comments:
Note: I'm assuming "illness" in the prompt also applies to mental illness.
Cina,
I admire the way you let the title of the poem do some of the heavy work of setting the scene. I also feel like this poem is about much more than mental illness, depression or one individual moment.
Especially the final few stanzas, seem to be commenting on the entire profession, a whole generation or population of modern physicians, burdened, depressed, and longing...
Thanks for writing this. Can't wait to hear you read it!
Outdreamed...with so much peace of mind - I take this to mean pleasantly burned out, sets up very interesting imagery in mind as if longing for the release of death. I particularly like the last line which I feel can be taken in multiple directions.
I really like that you tell us the story with the title so you can really explore the emotion with the poem instead of having to make specific references. It allows us both to understand the poem in the context of the title and to extrapolate, as Dr. Basile pointed out, beyond that one person or moment.
Post a Comment