Summers at the Lake were an oasis of sunshine and happiness,
Family reunions in the water, on the water.
Lake George water cleanse the aches
past year grey clouds of school year washed away
growing pains subsided
surrounded by cousins
letting time go
new memories made
Grandma, you always welcomed us with open arms and a kiss
the immediate question
Have you been in the lake yet?
YES!
From the turn at Williams store where we shouted
I SEE THE LAKE
to the parking brake click
we were already in the lake.
Bathing suits were optional
but put on a shirt - the post dip trip up to
sit down and see you was not.
Talk of the past year
school, plans for next year
Is there a girl?
Another hello kiss and out the door for more of the lake.
Cousins and Aunts and Uncles came over
I never asked how they knew we arrived
More hugs, the shout from below
Who wants to go for a ski?
Our family united through you,
through your lake.
When we left, we promised to write
promised to call
Took a goodbye picture by your flowers
Said goodbye
to your wave and smile
and turned away.
Christmas calls, and you even gave us paper with our names on it.
More than once.
When I first received it I did not realize what it was for.
who do 10 year olds write letters to?
I wish I got the clue
If it did occur to me
I probably waited because I
knew there was more time.
Now, we still
come together, joined by you and your lake
Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, Parents, Brother
hike up Pilot Knob,
new memories are still made, but don’t compare to the legendary old ones
water bottle’s still fill at least half
with blueberrys from mountaintop patches
we give them to you now
for you to eat.
Thanks for all the blueberry buckle’s of the past
sweet crumbs
of that great cake
satiate our memory.
I still want to spend more time there
at the lake.
I am dry when I first see you now,
and we talk
and I wait
until I’m parched
before my second hello kiss
and I go in the lake.
I should call
more often now
I think
of you
almost daily
I pray
there will still be time
for new memories
I can’t believe I didn’t know to write more letters with your paper gift.
If I wait maybe
there will be more time
4 comments:
I love this poem- it's as though the lake is the head of the family, this unifying force of some sort. It's interesting how the letters/phone calls represent that desire to bring everyone together again, even when the lake is frozen over in winter.
Chris,
This is a lovely poem; you paint such a vibrant picture I can see the lake, your grandmother, all the cousins. What wonderful memories!
Paper is my favorite gift.
This is great, the memories that one hopes will never fade
Post a Comment