Sunday, March 22, 2009

SHOCK AND AWE: Using Figurative Language

This week we will read In the Surgical Theatre, by Dana Levin and Dannie Abse's In the Theatre and examine the use of simile and metaphor in these poems.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Reflection:

I really enjoyed listening to this poem. It was interesting to see how so many words took on multiple meanings. For instance, while the word "chest" refers to a part of the human body, it also refers to an inanimate object that can be opened, revealing its contents. The chest then becomes like a flower, with petals "peeled back." I believe that this alludes to the ephemeral nature of the human body. On a related note, there was something rather invasive about the subject matter of the poem. The title itself - In the Surgical Theatre - suggests a show, a display. The actors, in addition to the body, included the surgeons and the angels, though at times, it was difficult to ascertain whether these were meant to be the same beings (e.g., perhaps, the white wings were white coats all along). Finally, one of the things that I enjoyed about the poem was that it expressed that living is ultimately feeling. In sum, I thought that this was an interesting poem with beautiful and thought-provoking imagery.