Monday, March 16, 2009

Three Apologies

To the man on the bus, drunk and alone

I was rude, had fun
at your expense.

Perhaps you did not
hear me. Perhaps

you did. I acted
juvenile. My jokes,

contrite and stale,
left a bad taste

in my mouth.


To the girl in a dress at the bar in the LES

I forget your name.
We've met once or twice.

You went to RISD,
FIT or Pratt

to study fashion
or photography.

Now, you say that you
are a trendsetter.

I am pallid and
parched. Can I buy you

a drink? Your lips are
so wet and so full.


To the boy on the other end of the telephone line

Your name appeared
on the information
release form.

We tried to contact him.

I called
to discuss the results
of the second biopsy.

I never saw your face.

You are twenty-two years
and three days old.
There's not much we ...

More meaningful words implied.

You sit down
in your father's garden
and breath.

2 comments:

Maria Basile said...

A triptych of poetry! Nice, tight work, Noah. I can feel the compunction of the speaker in the first part of the poem. The middle part smacked of WCW (in a good way), and the last part...so sad and lonely. Thank you for all the thought and work you put into this poem!

lena said...

the title of the first one "to the man on the bus, drunk and alone" really set up the first poem well. that one word "alone" elicits sympathy for this man who is now the butt of some kid's jokes. it really makes me understand why you had a bad taste in your mouth.